My Purchases | Contact
Powered By Prima Games
Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What affects progression?

I've had several players with an A potential but none of them have reached an overall above 96. My QB Tristan Riley is by far the best QB in the league statistically every year but his overall has stalled at 92 for the past 3 seasons.

I had a QB I drafted out of the 5th or 6th round whose overall was an 84. I traded him to the Chiefs and in two seasons, his overall was a 96. Why did he progress so much more than my QB? His awareness was high but his accuracy was horrible and he never had as good as season as Riley. Several other QBs in my franchise all have overalls much higher than my QBs but none of them perform nearly as well.

Same thing with my CB, my SS, my NT, all of them out perform everybody else in the league at their position yet their overalls don't reach as far as others.

....why is that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I♥32

Q: How often does progression take place and will season performance effect it? (yearly, quarterly, every game, etc.)
    A: All of the tuning this year was done to make the progression system from ’09 playable. Last year, players rarely progressed and if they did, they didn’t go up much. We fixed those problems and I’m seeing what I expect when I get to the offseason after having good seasons with my players. In the future, we’ll look into using a progression system similar to the one we used in NFL Head Coach ’09. It allows for more flexibility than the system we’re working with now.
    To answer your question:
    Season performance has a huge impact and progression happens in the offseason.
    Progression

Finally we get to progression, easily one of the most often-discussed areas of Franchise mode in the community for Madden NFL 09. Donny Moore did a lot of good work with progression prior to my joining the team and I’ve been able to keep tweaking it since. Here are the major changes we’ve made so far:

• Older players will digress much faster. In fact, when a running back hits 30, he’s going downhill at warp speed.

• Younger players will progress quickly if they play well. We’re talking up 10 points in overall if he has a great year.

• Veteran players will still progress, but not substantially. They can also digress if they play poorly.

• We added more stat categories to determine a player’s success/failure for a season. For example, if you lead the league in rush TD’s but don’t do all that well in total rushing yards, you’ll still be able to progress accordingly. And it’s not just yards, and TD’s, it’s other stats like rushing attempts and rush yards per carry. This was done across the board for all positions.

• Removed age from ranking players. Some people may not know this but our previous progression systems would ranked each player statistically against players around the same age. Meaning that older players would only be ranked against other older players when determining how well they performed. This often created the situation where those older players never dropped even with sub-par years because other players in their ‘age group’ weren’t performing well either. Now, all players are ranked against all other players at that position, regardless of career phase.

The “potential” rating is another sort of ‘hidden’ addition that we are changing up this year to impact progression (and Franchise mode overall). Every player in the game has a potential rating that he cannot exceed (a la NFL Head Coach 09). This year, we’re actually exposing that rating so you’ll have an idea why your player is not progressing - typically a situation where his potential is maxed out. Exposing this rating also help quite a bit in making personnel decisions when contracts are up. One key detail here is that you’ll only see potential for players on your own team. CPU player potentials will be hidden.

Ok, guys…I’ve probably gone on long enough. Next time I’ll talk about trade logic, hall of fame logic, regular season free agency, salary cap tuning, coach boosts and tons of other franchise stuff.
    Long story short, I guess they've hit their max potential, but there's pre-release information on progression. Whether any of that's true, I haven't the slightest idea but it never really boggled my mind. As far as I know, Madden is less football and more D&D with some user control and a sporty paintjob. There's tons of invisible numbers deciding how much your player will progress, whether your pass will hit your receiver or magnetically go to his defender, whether your lineman will just stand there and watch as the defense blocks your game-winning (game-losing?) field goal attempt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Somebody else also said that each player's potential has a hidden peak number in it...

- A means 90-99 OVR
    - B means 80-89 OVR
    - C means 70-79
    - D means 60-69
    - E and F 59-Crap

which means every A wont be 99 your QB's hidden peak number could be 92

kinda stupid if you ask me

Quote Originally Posted by AricHennings View Post
    Somebody else also said that each player's potential has a hidden peak number in it...

- A means 90-99 OVR
    - B means 80-89 OVR
    - C means 70-79
    - D means 60-69
    - E and F 59-Crap

which means every A wont be 99 your QB's hidden peak number could be 92

kinda stupid if you ask me
    Is this 100 percent true? I have a 6-foot-5 rookie WR with D potential and is 67 overall but he's a beast in my online franchise league. So your saving he'll only improve two points the rest of his career? No way.
    PSN - Alfred_Hitchcock

The potential is a huge factor, but the letter is only a summary. If you go in your scouting section, you'll see potential bars. Players with a full bar will have the potential to be 99 OVR, even though they might start out at 64.

Little tip: When you go in the scouting agency, just take a look at this bar. Everything else can be seen in the draft, but not this. Scout the guys with the best potential and look in the draft if they're going to be any good (with the web on the right). If there's a guy with decent attributes and very big potential, take him. He's probably going to come out with a 70's rating, but he'll be more prone to big progression.

I'm playing in an online franchise league so I'm unable to see the scouting bars. Funny, I had Nate Davis as my backup quarterback (started Hill, had insane numbers but tossed many INTS) and Davis improved to 69 from 64 and Hill didn't budge. Now I'm playing Davis in Year 2 and he has more than 2,000 yards, 17 td's and 13 ints through six games. Hoping he moves up to 75 by year end.

And the WR I mentioned was 64 overall, not 67.

Sun, is it any different when you play online. For example, there aren't any scouting tools just the NFL draft and we don't see their potential.
    PSN - Alfred_Hitchcock

and remember that the OVR rating might not matter if a guys specific skills suit your team. Mike Vick's OVR is in the low 70s but he can still throw deep and run

Quote Originally Posted by GQallday View Post
    Is this 100 percent true? I have a 6-foot-5 rookie WR with D potential and is 67 overall but he's a beast in my online franchise league. So your saving he'll only improve two points the rest of his career? No way.

after you finish the year- and get WR of the NFL honors, probowl, NFL MVP, and Offensive player of the year honors... i bet your WR is at 69 or less

come back and tell me if im wrong... please

i had a rookie A-potential HB one year with an 82 OVR

he carried 6 times for the year. and after the year he shot up to 86

so no matter what you do in the year the computer already has its mind made up about progression

Quote Originally Posted by AricHennings View Post
    i had a rookie A-potential HB one year with an 82 OVR

he carried 6 times for the year. and after the year he shot up to 86

so no matter what you do in the year the computer already has its mind made up about progression
    In my Raiders chise i started Jeff Garcia so Jamarcus sat on the bench all season.BUT when the players progressed he jumped from 66 ovr to a 74.He didnt play all season so go figure.

ive had henne for 5 season already and he has A potential and he has yet to have a 90 ovr yet he just hit 85.
    Miami Dolphins Frachise

Quote Originally Posted by Fin_72 View Post
    ive had henne for 5 season already and he has A potential and he has yet to have a 90 ovr yet he just hit 85.
    See its the Computer's math which just plain stinks

-we all know that if-
    *you play good your OVR should go up
    *you play bad your OVR should go down
    *you get hurt or dont play... OVR goes down

it's not rocket and orbit crunch numbers for the NASA Saturn 5 progam

...well maybe EA can get it right for Madden 11?

i played bad for like 2 season with henne is that the reason why he hasnt been as good

cause with sean smith in two season he played great and he is great with 91 ovr.
    Miami Dolphins Frachise

*you get hurt or dont play... OVR goes down
    Ahh, that's pretty situational. It's used to be the norm for rookie QBs to sit and learn the system with a clipboard. I'd say for young players with good players in front of them, it's better for them to sit than to play.

Quote Originally Posted by DyslexiC View Post
    Ahh, that's pretty situational. It's used to be the norm for rookie QBs to sit and learn the system with a clipboard. I'd say for young players with good players in front of them, it's better for them to sit than to play.

I'd have to agree with that statement. But if its an older player sitting on the bench, their ovr should go down.

Thread Information