Madden NFL 25. Is. Coming. (#TeamDragon)
Unlock the power, precision, and creativity of the NFL ball carrier. Whether you’re a slashing running-back, dual-threat QB, or ball-hawking safety, unleash 30 new moves and string together devastating combos with the all-new precision modifier in Madden NFL 25.
ZFarls and I have had first-hand experience playing Madden NFL 25, and I must say it was electric. Before I dive more into my overall thoughts of the game let’s take a look at some of the key features covered in Playbook 1.
SACH PODCAST 6: Run Free Playbook 1
The innovative Precision Modifier provides unprecedented ball-carrier control.
- Players can now create specialized moves like stutter steps, precision jukes, combo moves, hurdles, and more to reinvent the way they play Madden.
- Thirty ball-carrier moves open up gameplay possibilities. Use authentic hard cuts at 45, 90, 135, and 180 degrees to eliminate “swerve” running of the past.
- The precision modifier offers a risk/reward opportunity, as utilizing it will consume stamina, and abuse could lead to tired players who make mistakes.
I have always been a huge fan of players like Reggie Bush. The main reason is that Bush has had all the “key” ratings that mattered to be a successful HB in Madden. He has always had great Speed, Acceleration, Agility, and Elusiveness. These stats allowed him to compete with the best players in the league (Adrian Peterson, etc.). With the new Precision Modifier you will still love using Bush for his athleticism, but there will be a difference between his skill set and that of guys like Adrian Peterson.
While Bush might have all the important speed categories he won’t have the same Trucking ability as Peterson. You won’t be able to trigger those “special” animations that give you the wow moments you see on Sundays.
The elite players feel like elite players in Madden NFL 25.
This doesn’t mean that Peterson will have a huge advantage over every other player in the game (although he feels great on the sticks), but it means the developers have done an amazing job creating a real to life balance on the virtual gridiron.
The key takeaway is that the precision modifier doesn’t change the ball carrier moves that we all know and love, but rather adds nuances for an additional degree of control. For example, tapping “A” will cause a ball carrier to execute a stiff-arm, but if you use the precision modifier it will make the player square up to the face of the defender. My favorite part of all this is that ratings like Strength matter in the equation. With a high strength rating you might see a hard push-off that knocks a defender over. If you are truly a master on the sticks you will be able to rip off killer combo moves using the precision modifier.
There is serious skill involved with the timing and precision of these moves, which will require even the most veteran Madden player’s patience and expertise.
The Infinity Engine 2 brings more polished physics simulation with specific focus put on realistic tackle momentum, tackle wraps, and post-play behaviors.
- The new force impact system introduces another level of player control and power moves, including the hit stick, truck, dive tackle, and stiff arms – all redesigned to harness the full potential of Infinity Engine 2.
- The new stumble recovery mechanic allows players to regain their balance and renew their charge – maximizing the yardage they can gain before going down.
- Timing is the key to success, and precision is rewarded. Mistime a move and pay the price.
- Blocking matchups have been rewritten by a former NFL offensive lineman to ensure the correct blocks are being made; also, new animations have been added for offensive linemen to ensure they’re getting to the right place at the right time.
One of my favorite new additions to Madden NFL 25 is the stumble recovery mechanic. This allows runners to regain their balance as they power through defenders and fight for extra yards. You will get feedback from the game and will know when to activate it and when not to. Make sure you are quick on the sticks, though, or you might lose the chance to activate it. It is another added dimension that allows players to feel more involved in the game. Don’t worry; it’s not over-powered so that you stay on your feet all game long. A recurring theme that will play out is that it will require skill and precisionto pull it off. One thing I did notice is that while focusing my attention on the stumble recovery I often forgot to use the precision modifier and vice versa. This is a perfect balancing act that the developers have created.
ZFarls: On defense, this is the year to user control a linebacker IMO. I felt like the tackle breakdowns gave me more control on defense, similar to how ballhawk was in Madden NFL 13. I felt more locked into my player and able to react to the new running cuts.