All week long ZFarls and I have been debating on what’s a better style of defense, pressure or coverage? We broke it down on TWIM 73 this week and discussed the benefits of both styles of defense.
Here are our thoughts…
- Pressure can rattle aggressive opponents.
- It tests your opponent’s protection scheme.
- Can the offense handle the heat in the kitchen?
- When in doubt send it.
- Pressure bursts pipes.
- It has the potential to give up the big play.
- It’s vulnerable to quick passes.
- Lightning-quick setups are necessary.
- Does your opponent have patience?
- Can your opponent check down to HB Draws?
- Will your opponent force the ball into coverage?
- Coverage, Coverage, Coverage, PRESSURE, Coverage…
- Bend but don’t break.
- Elite players always find ways to pressure the QB.
- A coverage defense is always going to give up points.
- It allows you to get a feel for your opponent’s game plan.
The jury is still out on this one. Where do you fall on this Great Debate? What style of defense do you prefer? Let us know by commenting below!